Saturday, May 24, 2014

Back Pains During Pregnancy

Back Pains during Pregnancy

That baby boy who always make me feel better during my painful (back pain) days.


It amazes some of my friends who are pregnant to see me smile and just be happy about my 2nd pregnancy. But what they do not know is that, it pains me every night because I got severe back pain. I will share some causes and quick relief which I read from my research.

Causes:

1.       Baby is growing. This is a good sign because that should really happen. Lower back pain, as I could remember from my Clinical Instructors (during my days in College of Nursing), the bones are getting ready for the baby and making room for its growth.
2.       Bad posture. Other books and articles would say that it is about bad posture. Too bad for me because I already have dextrothoracic scoliosis since I was 12 years old. Although I had back bone braces before, still, it pains a lot when I carry heavy things and climbing up and down the stairs. Good thing though that my OB would check if I already visited my Ortho (bone doctor) lately. My OB is not just concerned with the baby but with the well being of the mom. She would always remind me to have a good posture and ask if the degrees of curvature went higher.
3.       Daily activity. This is another thing. If your work is more of physical work, then you would experience more pain. However, it still varies from one person to the other because I know some pregnant women who carry really heavy things and yet maintain healthy pregnancy. There are as well those who are well – pampered and being treated like a princess but really have back pains almost every day.
4.       Stress. Well, stress is so obvious. Stress won’t give you just back pains but all the pains in the world.

Quick relief:
1.       Hot or cold compress. Books and articles would suggest that. But I rather have hot compress but not too much though. It gives a feeling of relaxation.
2.       Maintaining a good posture. This is really good for those who have a normal spinal column because it’s easy for them. It is on the other hand a challenge for me because my good posture is not a good posture for ordinary women. My right pelvic bone is a bit higher than my left so what I usually do is just to have a quick rest every time it pains me.
3.       Daily light exercise. The kind of exercise varies from one mom to the other. I have a friend who is a mom, a gym instructor and triathlon coach; she does zumba, yoga and other exercises and she’s doing fine. My Aunt is a dance instructor; she would even dance in high heeled shoes but she’s alright. It was so easy for her to deliver the baby because of her well toned muscles. So, it really depends. You cannot force yourself to do what other pregnant women do. Work at your own pace.
4.       Be happy!

That’s it for now. I’ll keep you posted for more of baby care.

Sneak peak of our baby girl.
And I thought my husband will just post this on facebook but to my surprise he placed this:
"Finally, I got the first glimpse of you, my little princess. Daddy may not always be there near you. But that doesn't change the fact that I love you very much. In a few months, I'll be holding you close to me. For now, take it easy on mommy. Thank you very much sweetheart Jonee Ross. I miss you. 

And a million thanks to my husband who is always there for me and our kids.

3 comments: